You can obtain a free copy of your annual credit report from each of the three major consumer credit report agencies – Equifax, TransUnion and Experian – once every year. But make sure you’re requesting your credit report at the website Annualcreditreport.com.
See to it that the URL on the page you’re using starts with https://int.annualcreditreport.com/. This website was created by the three agencies specifically to issue the free annual credit reports and to guide consumers about obtaining and monitoring their credit records.
You need to make sure you’re on the right web page when requesting for your credit report because of at least three reasons:
- There are a lot of websites offering free credit reports and they often look like they’re the real thing. Many of these may lead you eventually to the authorized site, but only after you’ve paid a membership fee for other credit-related services.
- Entering your personal financial information on unreliable sites would make you vulnerable to identity theft.
- Requesting your free annual credit report directly from Equifax, TransUnion or Experian could be mistaken for a typical credit report request and you would be charged for it.
You can request your free credit report from all the three agencies at the same time so you can compare them, or you can schedule your request one agency at a time so you can monitor your credit transactions without paying for several reports throughout the year.
A typical credit report contains important details on the following:
- Your accounts such as auto loans, bank loans, credit card loans and home loans
- Your accounts in public records like public record search service websites and local county records, such as bankruptcy
- Companies or other entities that requested for your credit history
- And your personal information.
After all your paperwork is completed, your bankruptcy attorney will file for a bankruptcy case with the court. You will be assigned a hearing where a bankruptcy official will review all of the material, and a decision will be made concerning your discharge unless they find that more information is needed or you do not qualify. Of course, having an experienced bankruptcy attorney increases the odds of a favorable outcome as they have already evaluated your case and they are familiar with the documentation that will be required. Filing for bankruptcy can out you in a better position to manage your finances and be able to regain some stability to a life that may have been spinning out of control. If you think that filing for bankruptcy may help your situation, make an appointment with a knowledgeable bankruptcy attorney and go over options. A Taunton Bankruptcy Attorney is a legal advisor, who can make you understand the basic concepts of Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 Bankruptcy as per Federal Government norms.
After using up your once-a-year free credit report with all the three agencies, you would need to pay for any subsequent request. Also, take note that if you took out a loan for foreigners in Singapore or Indonesia, it will show up in your credit report. Bankruptcy is an option that can help relieve you of debt. You may be in a position where you can no longer pay back debt due to a change in your life such as divorce, job loss, medical costs and other reasons. Do not wait until the last minute to file; many times, people try to hang on and their financial situation becomes more difficult. Once you have decided that you can no longer meet your obligations, it is time to visit a bankruptcy attorney and discuss your options.You are not required to hire a bankruptcy attorney, but it can be a time-consuming, confusing process, and it is best to have someone who is experienced and knowledgeable on your side. When you visit your lawyer, there are several things that you will discuss including your current situation, your creditors, whether filing Chapter 7, 11 or 13 best suits your situation, and more. Your attorney will spend time answering your questions, and there will be paperwork that needs to be filled out. Your first visit is usually for exploratory purposes, and after your bankruptcy attorney has all the facts time may be needed to evaluate for the best course of action. Once you have gathered all your information and you have decided what filing type is best suited to your situation, your attorney will begin to work on your Petition and Schedules which is paperwork summarizing your financial situation and your creditor information. This paperwork is very important, and mistakes can cause your further difficulties. Your bankruptcy attorney will also make sure that the Petition and Schedules is accompanied by supporting documentation. For further details you can contact to experienced bankruptcy attorney Knoxville in city.
There are other instances when you can request for a free credit report from any of the three agencies:
- If you live in Colorado, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, Maine, New Jersey and Vermont. These states have laws that allow their residents to get credit reports for free.
- If your application for insurance, credit or employment was denied because of your credit record
- If you’re a welfare recipient
- If you’re jobless and you plan to find a job within 60 days
- If your credit report is erroneous because of fraud
After you use up your free chances, the agencies can charge you up to $10.50 for a copy of your credit report for subsequent requests. Although the three agencies differ in the types of information highlighted, they all help you monitor your credit.