The Tampa-St. Petersburg metro area has now more than 2.87 million people, with population growth mostly from people moving into the area.
The Tampa area posted the 10th largest domestic migration growth among 52 major metro areas in the country from 2010 to 2013, according to Census Bureau data.
Why are more and more people moving to Tampa?
Our city of Tampa and the Tampa Bay area have been ranking high in various Best Lists and Top Lists. And these are just 25 of them:
1. Tampa is 20th on Livability.com’s 2014 List of the 100 Best Places to Live
Tampa has high scores in amenities, education, demographics, economics, health care, housing, infrastructure, transportation, and social and civic capital.
2. The Tampa metro area is 18th on Forbes.com’s 2014 List of the 100 Most Affordable Cities
Forbes.com considered housing affordability, cost of living and consumer prices. Tampa’s cost of living index is 96.9 — that means it’s cheaper living here by 3.1 index points than the national average of 100.
3. Tampa is the 3rd Best City to Find a Job
WalletHub.com ranked Tampa as third among the country’s 60 largest cities based on job openings, job growth, cost of living, income tax, housing costs and starting salaries in 2014.
4. The Tampa Bay Metro Area is 2nd on Milken Institute’s list of the Best Performing Large Cities in Florida
It’s 93rd among 200 large US cities. The 2013 study analyzed rates of job growth, salary increases, and high technology GDP.
5. Tampa is the 6th Smartest City
Movoto’s factors include number of universities and colleges, libraries, museums, and media per resident and also residents’ educational levels.
6. The Tampa-St. Petersburg metro area is the 7th fastest-growing city in women-owned companies
American Express reported that the number of women-owned firms in the Tampa area increased from 54,473 in 2002 to 81,700 in 2014.
7. Tampa is the 7th Pet-Friendliest City
Tampa got high scores on factors like ownership costs, health care facilities, weather conditions and the number of dog parks and pet-friendly trails, according to Wallethub.com’s 2014 study.
8. Tampa is 7th on USAA’s List of the Best Places for Veterans to Find Jobs
The presence of a lot of defense contractors in the Tampa area translates to military-skill-related jobs.
9. Tampa is 6th on Nerdwallet.com’s 2014 list of the Best Urban Places to Retire
Factors include cost of living, walkability, weather and in-home omemaker services.
10. The Tampa area is No. 72 on Forbes’ 2014 list of the Best Places for Business and Careers
Criteria considered were cost of business, job growth and education levels.
11. Tampa is the 2nd Best City for Young Entrepreneurs
According to Nerdwallet.com, there are lots of affordable loans in Tampa and the city’s lower cost of living enables young entrepreneurs to reduce startup costs.
12. Tampa is No. 32 on Wallethub.com’s list of the Best Cities to Start a Business
Wallethub.com evaluated the country’s 150 largest cities on factors like access to financing, corporate taxes, office space cost, cost of living, workforce education level, entrepreneurial activity, employee availability, real estate affordability and small business friendliness.
13. Tampa is in many Trip Advisor Travelers’ Choice Lists
Lowry Park Zoo, 14th in list of Top 25 Zoos, is in Tampa.
Florida Aquarium, 13th in list of Top 25 Aquariums, is in Tampa.
Busch Gardens, 10th in list of Top 25 Amusement Parks, is in Tampa.
We’re also close to Orlando, home to 8 of the 25 best amusement parks in the list.
14. The Tampa Bay area has 5 of TripAdvisor’s Top 25 Beaches:
No. 3 — Siesta Key Public Beach in Siesta Key
No. 9 — Saint Pete Beach in Saint Pete Beach
No. 11 — Caladesi Island State Park in Dunedin
No. 21 — Clearwater Beach in Clearwater
No. 22 — Lido Beach in Sarasota
15. Tampa is 17th on Wallethub.com’s list of Cities with the Best Weather
Mild weather conditions year-round and ideal conditions for individual seasons were the factors considered.
16. Tampa is 5th Best City for Recreation
Wallethub.com’s list is based on quality of parks, entertainment and recreation facilities, recreation-related costs, and weather conditions
17. Tampa is 11th Best City for Summer Travel
Flight costs, flight times, connections, popularity as domestic and international destinations favors Tampa, according to Wallethub.com.
18. Tampa is 9th Best City for Small Business Employees
There are 50,357 businesses with 20 employees or less in Tampa, based on the latest census report. Tampa has high scores in small business job growth, cost of living, stress index and salaries for new hires, according to cardhub.com’s report in 2013.
19. The MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa is the only U.S. military base that houses the headquarters of two unified combatant commands, U.S. Central Command (USCENTCOM) and U.S. Special Operations Command (USSOCOM), with 36 additional mission partners.
20. Tampa ranks 3rd in Military.com’s list of the Top 10 Cities for Defense Jobs
The Tampa Hillsborough Economic Development Corp. says that 9 of the Top 10 U.S. Defense Contractors have operations in the Tampa area.
21. The University of South Florida in Tampa is 10th among universities worldwide granted US patents, and 43rd among 653 institutions ranked by total research and development spending in 2012, based on National Science Foundation data.
22. The Port of Tampa is the largest seaport in Florida and one of the top 8 cruise ports in the US.
23. The Tampa International Airport is the 2nd Best Airport in Travel+Leisure’s 2013 and 2014 Best Domestic Airports Awards, and the Best Airport in the Americas in the 2014 Routes Awards.
24. The Bayshore Boulevard Sidewalk in Tampa is the longest continuous sidewalk in the world.
25. Tampa is 2nd in CNN Money’s list of the Top 10 Cities People Are Moving To, according to Penske Truck Rental’s annual report.
If you’ve seen other recent Best Lists and Top Lists that ranks Tampa high, we appreciate it very much if you add them in your comments.
If you’re looking for a home in Tampa, we will be happy to help: TAMPA4U.COM